WHAT IS PSYCHOTHERAPY?
- Psychotherapy is a term for treating mental health problems by talking with a psychiatrist, psychologist, or other mental health provider. During psychotherapy you learn about your condition and your moods, feelings, thoughts and behaviors. Psychotherapy helps you learn how to take control of your life and respond to challenging situations with healthy coping skills. There are many specific types of psychotherapy, each with its own approach. The type of psychotherapy that's right for you depends on your individual situation. Psychotherapy is also known as talk therapy, counseling, psychosocial therapy, or, simply, therapy (Mayo Clinic, 2013).
WHAT IS MOVEMENT PSYCHOTHERAPY or DANCE/MOVEMENT THERAPY (DMT)?
- Dance/movement therapy (DMT) is the psychotherapeutic use of movement as a process which furthers the emotional cognitive physical and social integration of the individual (ADTA, 2009). It is a subset of creative arts therapy. DMT is used interchangeably with Movement Psychotherapy.
WHAT IS CREATIVE ARTS THERAPY?
- Creative arts therapy is the active engagement of the arts in psychotherapy to address mental, emotional, developmental, and behavioral disorders. Emphasis is on the relationship between patient and therapist as a dynamic force for change.
WHAT IS AUTHENTIC MOVEMENT?
- Authentic movement is a process of moving from one's impulses toward understanding. This process involves a relationship between mover and witness as a method of unveiling unconscious material and developing the psychological Ego. It is evolved from Jungian principles of active imagination and Freudian concepts of free association applied to the body. Listen to this Mind Your Body interview about bridging conscious and unconscious material through authentic movement.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT?
- Your first session is usually a time for gathering information about you and your needs. It might take a few sessions to fully understand your situation and to determine the best plan. Your first session is also an opportunity to see if Kendra's style and personality fit what you're looking for. Together you will explore goals of treatment and how many sessions you may need. Just as each conversation is unique, so too will therapy sessions vary. You may choose to use movement to express your thoughts/feelings, or simply talk. It's up to you.
WILL INTENSE FEELINGS COME UP?
- Psychotherapy sometimes involves deep emotional exploration and conversation; some people may feel physically tired or emotionally drained after a session while others may feel quite the opposite. Kendra is there to help you cope with a range of feelings and emotions.
IS IT CONFIDENTIAL?
- Except in very specific circumstances, conversations during psychotherapy are confidential. However, if there is an immediate threat to safety or when required by state or federal law, concerns may be reported to authorities.
HOW LONG IS AN INDIVIDUAL PSYCHOTHERAPY SESSION?
- Individual verbal or movement psychotherapy sessions are 50 minutes each.
HOW LONG IS ONE AUTHENTIC MOVEMENT GROUP SESSION?
- One authentic movement group session is 90 minutes.
WHAT IS THE FREQUENCY OF TREATMENT?
- This varies depending upon the needs of the client.
DO I NEED EXPERIENCE IN DANCE?
- No experience is necessary.
HOW MUCH DOES A SESSION COST?
- Please contact Kendra to obtain current rates.
DO YOU ACCEPT INSURANCE?
- Not at this time.